Monoprint using oils and I buy a little treat!

Here's the little treat! It's a monprint in oils by Dan Tirels  I've watched his videos on YouTube for a couple of years and have even been inspired to try out his methods and they work really well. I will be doing more of monoprint using oils in the coming months.

The original posting of my experiments are copied below to save you ferreting through the blog! 



  Monoprint experiment in oils - inspiration Dan Tirels.




The above monoprint (blue/black)was made with oil paints and the orange with Caligo printing inks. They were very quick and easy to do, and a pictorial how-to follows.



You need a very little amount of oil colour. Squeeze a little (I've used indigo and prussian blue) onto a small sheet of polythene. I have large sheets of this to cover my table, but an old bag or some packaging would work. Spread the paint using a spatula, scraper or a piece of card. It doesn't need to be smooth!



Here's my sheet of polythene covered with a thin layer of oil paint.


Next, tape a piece of printing paper or whatever you wish to the table to stop it from moving. Put a frame over the top to give a crisp edge. I've used an old card mount.

Tear up some light cardboard into shapes and put them over the paper. Small pieces work better than large.


Lift the polythene and carefully begin to press it over the card (which will probably move a bit). The idea wasn't to get a complete covering but just to press some paint into the background.


Here you can see how much paint was pressed into the paper and the shapes left behind by the torn card pieces.



Gently, with a sponge or piece of cloth etc., blur the edges of the shapes.


I used the end of a paintbrush over the painted polythene to give some movement with lines.


A final bit of blurring of the lines.







Below: the finished piece.





No comments:

Post a Comment